BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Care for a Swim?

I was actually going to blog about the woman who swam the Atlantic today. Amazing, huh? Unbelievable, you say? That's what I thought. Something about it didn't sit right with me from what I heard in the early reports.

Of course, the news made a big deal of it. They love to tout accomplishments and heroism without really scrutinizing things. My cynicism doesn't allow me to though. For instance, I wouldn't say that Sully - the pilot who safely landed the plane in the Hudson - is a hero by my definition. He was skilled and calm and professional and, frankly, amazing. He did what perhaps none other could. But he didn't do anything heroic really; other than preserve his own life as well as those of his passengers. Heroism in my view is one who risks life or limb for the benefit of another. Something altruistic. I don't see how that plays here. He did his job. Incredibly did his job, but landing the plane was not heroic - just amazing. In no way meaning to diminish what he did, I just don't see that he was heroic. And, by his account on 60 Minutes, neither did he.

Anyway, I got to thinking what a really big deal to sail across the Atlantic. Upon first hearing of the swim, I assumed she took months or even years to accomplish it but even then I figured she had assistance from currents. I also supposed the boat kept moving while she rested.

What I was unaware was that if one does the math, it makes the feat look more ridiculous when one takes into account how fast an Olympic swimmer travels and how fast this 56 year old woman swam in high seas. Obviously, my skepticism wasn't too far off.

Oh brother! I hate when the media pisses on my leg and tells me its raining.

2 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

I didn't hear of this until just now. I am sad that people need to exaggerate so much and turn something sort of cool into sort of a lie. What good does that do anyone?

Radioactive Tori said...

And also...car? No car? What's the story????