BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Do You See What I See?

You can hope like HELL that others see in your kid what you do, can't you? Sadly, however, they probably don't.

I'm sure most see my Little One as a precociously beautiful, smart little girl. When I use my unjaded dad-eyes, I believe most think she's sweet and compassionate and funny and sassy and smart. Her after school instructors think she's the bomb and tell me so frequently when I arrive to pick her up. Co-workers, friends and family constantly compliment on how good-mannered she is and how sweet and fun she is. Her grandparents absolutely adore her, which one would expect, of course. But we can tell, both sets click with her more than their other grandchildren, whom they no-doubt love very much. But its there. Favoritism methinks.

Having said all that, I'm sure she's not her teacher's absolute favorite. I'm also rather certain her gymnastics teacher isn't so keen on her either. My daughter gets really rambunctious during gymnastics and doesn't listen as well as she should. The old-school Romanian instructor gets frustrated with her, which I think is justified. But then, isn't gymnastics about burning off excess energy and having fun? She is six after all and since I'm not seeing any gold medals in the future I just assume its a pleasurable experience for her. Which it is. And one of my sister-in-laws has had a couple negative things to say (or so I've heard) but I think it stems from jealousy in that her sort-of weird kids don't get the attention my Little One does. Honestly, part of the reason is the kids don't even say a simple "hello" when you see them and greet them. There's no eye contact and they're in their own little world. My little girl runs over and hugs and kisses everyone. So, who will get the attention in that event? Right!

Of course she's independent, sassy at times and doesn't always listen great (which we work like hell on) but she would also give you her one and only cupcake, or the last of her M&Ms, if you asked. She's an only child who doesn't want for much, but normally when she asks for something and is rebuffed, she says "that's okay, maybe we can get it for my birthday?" She shares all her toys with her friends very unselfishly and when we get overwhelmed with stuff will pick out items for us to donate. She cares for our dog compassionately and has a tremendously sophisticated sense of humor. She told me she felt badly because she was sick and thinks she might have been mean to her friend and wanted to call her today to apologize. I knew nothing about it, she volunteered it.

As a result of being sick with a fever, last night she woke up and puked all over the bed. My bed. I mean, all over! And at 5:30 in the morning. Mrs. Noveau and I, in perfect concert, got her cleaned up, the linens in the wash and the bed remade (thank GOD for that $100 mattress pad when we go the new bed).

And all The Little One was saying the entire time, even when covered in vomit, was "I'm sorry. I think I'm sick". Her concern, in her distress, was that she was putting us out. We assured her it was okay and that everyone gets sick like that and we could take care of everything which we did.

So, to her teacher, her gymnastics instructor, my sister-in-law and anybody else that feels otherwise, come visit during the off hours. Say, 5:30 this morning? Perhaps, you'd be singing a different tune. That's a sweet compassion that's in one's DNA. It can't be taught really but I'm proud as hell its there.

2 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

My kids are the same way. Especially my 8 year old daughter. I know exactly what you mean...you can't teach that kind of inborn sensitivity but I sure am happy it is there!

Skeeter said...

As it should be, Nouveau! Dad's be proud (Hell YEAH!) and the rest can ... just step off the curb!

Best wishes,

Skeeter