BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hockey II

The Little One had hockey practice last night. Or more accurately skating practice. My little over-confident one had no idea how hard ice skating is. We tried to warn her that it probably wouldn't be much fun to start. She took to skiing so easily but it didn't seem to translate as well.

The little trooper struggled mightily. She fell and fell and fell and fell but toward the end she was able to skate/walk across the ice quite some distance before wiping out yet again. Finally, I noticed an instructor walking her off the ice where I met a softly crying little girl. Her ankles hurt and her butt hurt and her head hurt from the helmet squeezing it. When I took it off she was absolutely covered in sweat from all her efforts and it was quite chilly in there.

Briefly, her zest for hockey was gone. We waited out the remaining 5 minutes of class on the sidelines and went with the other girls in to change. Her mood got better and better as time went by and we left we stopped and watched the big girls, perhaps 16 or 17, start their own practice. I told her I saw no reason why she couldn't get to that point if she practiced hard and did her best. She promised she would.

So, she's still up for more hockey and I have no doubt she'll get better in a hurry. A few days off will help and she was definitely looking forward to gymnastics tonight because "gymnastics is easy" I was told.

Comparatively it is. Wait until I get her roller-blades!

3 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

When my girls (and one boy) took ice skating lessons, it seemed like forever before it got easier. It seemed like it was really hard, they fell a lot, and then overnight one night they got the hang of it. My son never stuck with it to get it, so he still can't skate.

Hopefully your daughter will stick with it and have fun with it soon!

NouveauBlogger said...

I think she'll stick with it and be fine :)

Skeeter said...

Learning how to skate was one thing, learning hockey was quite another. At least we had frozen ponds all winter long to skate on. Definitely going to get a few bruises before mastering it, and it hurts for sure!

Best wishes,

Skeeter