BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 14, 2007

Question Answered

As Christmas approaches, a common question, or quip on the news in southern New England, is whether or not we have a "white" Christmas. Question answered: we will. We got walloped yesterday with about 11 inches of fluffy snow and a Nor'Easter (snow, plus heavy winds) is expected over the weekend. I left work early so I wasn't very impacted by it (except dealer school was canceled) but I heard of commuters basically sitting on the highways and taking upwards of 3 hours to travel 20 or so miles.

Except for that kind of ordeal, I don't mind winter storms at all. In fact, I like them unless its late March and there's nothing more festive than winter shopping, snow covered lights and clean white landscapes for Christmas. It looks weird to me to see holiday lights strung in warm climates, like southern California or Puerto Rico or the like. I guess I'm a Yankee at the core.

My next question though: what the HELL did people do before snowblowers?

7 kind commenters:

minijonb said...

i've been stranded in a home without a snowblower before. we sit around, play cards, hope the power doesn't go out... good times!!!

NouveauBlogger said...

right, jon. the fun stops when the TV does, lol.

Skeeter said...

Here in Oklahoma, we normally don't get a much snow at all. I use a scoop shovel to clear the snow. Our weather gets more interesting in Spring when tornado season starts ;-)

ZZZZZZZ said...

before snowblowers... people stayed in their damn houses like they should. Wouldn't it be great to have "Snow Day's" for work? I'd really like that.

NouveauBlogger said...

Really Skeeter? I always invisioned OK getting slammed with windy snow. And, I'll take my car sliding off the road any day over my house sliding down the road. Glad we don't see tornados up here.

sheila -- Actually, we sort of get them where I work. They'll let us go early or if the roads are real bad tell us not to come in. They're the BEST!!

Radioactive Tori said...

We don't have a snowblower. I shovel every time it snows except for over the weekend when I was feeling sort of sick and my husband did it for me (I have no idea how the shoveling became my job...we have a deal where the things inside the house are my jobs, and the things outside are his jobs but for some reason shoveling has always been my job). I would love a snowblower but for some reason we keep not buying one. It isn't really something you think of unless you just got a ton of snow and when we do, by the time I finish shoveling it all I always figure there won't be much more. I need to go buy a snowblower!

NouveauBlogger said...

Once you have one, there's no going back, R-girl. We had 11 inches of fluffy snow last Thursday. I did the driveway twice, once during and once right after the storm and it literally took me about 30 mins TOTAL.

If I had to shovel all that.......