BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Weekend Update

I played in my monthly poker tournament Friday night and came in 2nd out of 28 and won $245! I'll probably spend it on mulch and flowers. Its good that I'm playing well and I have earned enough points to qualify for the end of the year tournament in December already. So I have that sewed up. Cool beans.

As a result, however, I didn't finish playing until 1:40 a.m. Compound that with a a bad wreck on the highway resulting in it being shut down and I didn't get home and into bed until nearly 3:00 a.m. It seemed only minutes until my alarm went off at 5:20 so I could play golf. Perhaps exhaustion is the reason I totally sucked once again. And I was playing in a club tournament. I've played well only twice this year and sucky a bunch. It really chafes my ass because I went into Saturday so confidently. Shame. Maybe I should stick with cards. Or boche or something.

Then, on only 2+ hours of sleep plus a 45 minute catnap, I went to a Cinco De Mayo party Saturday evening/night. I was starving upon arrival and planned to chow down before drinking but there were only appetizers. Everything on the table had to be dipped into something else on the table and none of it seemed too appetizing to me. I could have really gone for some simple tacos but none were to be found. Mexican party and no tacos. What the hell?

Anyway, the party started slowly and I didn't feel 100% initially but around 10 p.m. things began cranking along and we went strong until nearly 2 a.m. Funny how at a party with all friends and family you reminisce about things you've already reminisced about 20 times before. Yet, the laughs are just as hard, if not harder, as always. It must be due to the familiarity and camaraderie of shared experiences. Or alcohol.

Generously, my brother, who normally drinks like a fish, volunteered to be the designated driver and has a van so a quite a few got pretty lit up comforted in knowing we'd get home safe. In any event, I had a good time but was running on fumes due to lack of sleep. Good thing for second and third and fourth winds.

Then I was up 5 hours later to try to get a bunch of yardwork done but my lawn tractor wouldn't start. Since it wouldn't I fiddled around the yard trying to do other stuff but had my heart set on mowing and leaf mitigation and the damn tractor got me off base. After a time, I went into the house and started working on a Mother's Day project I thought up. I think she'll like it, but I won't divulge it here per chance Mrs. B. peeks in on my blog.

Finally, around 8:20 p.m. I was dozing off to The Simpsons. All was quiet and peaceful until a tiny hand firmly rubbed my shoulder. "Hey daddy! Are you sleeping?"

"Well, not anymore, honey."

"Can I snuggle with you?"

"Of course, sweetie. Climb on up."

That warm, tiny, bony body that excells in poking me in all the wrong places at all the wrong times never felt so good. It wasn't at all difficult to fall back asleep.

5 kind commenters:

minijonb said...

That's a sweet story. Personally, I don't think I can handle small amounts of sleep like that anymore. My girlfriend calls me the old man. OK... sounds right.

Radioactive Tori said...

I am tired just reading that!

Kid snuggles are the best though! I welcome those any time, no matter how tired I am.

NouveauBlogger said...

Mini said -- "Personally, I don't think I can handle small amounts of sleep like that anymore. My girlfriend calls me the old man"

I do it nearly every weekend. I've always been able to go on very little sleep -- to a point.

I feel like the old man with the way my achey creaky body feels lately.


R-girl said "I am tired just reading that!"

You're tired?! I think you run much more than I do. And I don't have the energy to be running at 5am every day, lol.

Katie said...

wow. you won money playing poker. I always lose....

NouveauBlogger said...

I won again, Katie....check last month's post :)