BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Run Forest Run

The Hartford Marathon is in about 47 weeks.

I used to run quite a bit in college and for years afterwards and have always taken pride in myself in being in some semblance of "shape". I'm not right now as that definition pertains to any aspect of me. And pictures lately prove it.

I just don't feel motivated or goal-oriented despite the numerous "claims" I've made on this space to start exercising more and eating better.

I frequently get disappointed because I want it all now. Not many, many weeks down the road. But 47 weeks is enough time to train and do it right and do it slowly so as to avoid injury and disappointment.

I've set forth a course of training for it. Will I do it? I honestly don't know. But I've made a training calendar and I'm going to try - try being the operative word - to take it one day at a time. I work well when things are planned out and I'm posting the calendar right near my treadmill which coincidentally is in the rec room in which I spend so much time watching TV. Hell, if I have time to watch the boob-tube, I ought to be able to do it with my feet moving. That's the plan at least.

The beginning of the program is actually way too easy for me. I can get out of bed and run 3 miles at about a 9:30 pace no problem (I did last weekend) but I wonder if jumping to quickly into things is why I tend to break down. Back in the day, I ran sub 6 minute miles for 5Ks and have run 10 mile races as well.

So. Next Tuesday I start the program and I start by walking/running very, very easily.

There's time to do it. Although I used to race a lot I have never done a marathon. I might be running out of time to do one if I don't try it now.

We'll see but here goes.

3 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

I have been dying to try a marathon. Where did you find the training schedule? I was thinking I might do one next fall. But I'm not sure if I could train for that while ALSO doing triathlons during the summer. I'd think yes, but then I'm not sure I would get in enough running time to be able to properly train if I'm also training for swimming and biking.

Skeeter said...

Good luck with it, Nouveau. Keep us posted on your progress. I think it will encourage me to get into better shape myself.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

NouveauBlogger said...

R-girl --- its actually a combination of 3 programs. I found a "couch to 5k" program (which I could probably skip altogether) then an intermediate 10k program (after 4 weeks of distance buildup) then a marathon training schedule after that which should take me to race-day. I'd be glad to find and send you the link to the latter if you'd like. I'm sure with your current mileage, you could buildup to that distance in no time.

At the very least, it might give me blog material, eh skeeter? lol And thanks.