BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Testing, Testing

Not much to blog about. Christmas was fun and I got a total charge out of The Little One opening all her cool gifts. Other than that, not too much to blog about.

Last night I completed the first phase of my running program. Technically, I'm supposed to run a 5k race, but since its winter and I'm not where I need to be I timed myself on the treadmill.

First, my time sucked. 29:26. Not at all good but then I need to remember that I didn't get out of shape in 5 weeks, so I certainly won't get back in shape in 5 weeks.

So, instead I will focus on the positives. First, I ran quite pain-free. Minor, minor aches of the knees, but that's all. No calf issues that have plagued me in the past. Second, the run wasn't pure torture either. I pushed myself but it didn't feel like hell. So I'm encouraged if not a bit excited to move forward.

The program actually backs off a bit now. My mileage will be down and progressing slightly week-by-week with a "long day" on Sunday that actually starts as walking.

Its nowhere near hard. The hardest part is getting off the couch and into some shorts. That WILL change. But now I'm happy that I've stayed healthy and on track.


2 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

Don't they say it takes like 6 months or something for a thing to become habit? I know for me, since I run all the time, when I skip a day (that I had planned to run) I feel sort of on edge all day like I forgot to do something important.

Good for you for doing it pain free, and not pushing yourself too hard. That is always my biggest problem when I try to increase mileage...I always think I should be able to go faster than I can.

Skeeter said...

Hi ya Nouveau,

The hardest part is always pushing up off the couch and getting back to it. It is for me too.

Best wishes,

Skeeter