BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Gift Cards

Gift cards? Like them? Like giving them? Or receiving them? I think they're kinda cheesey. I know "its the thought that counts". But the "thought" I get from them is "I was feeling kind of lazy about actually thinking about something you might like to get, so while the car idled in the fire-lane I ran into Best Buy and got you this". Why not just throw a $100 bill into an envelope? But then, I've never been one to return gifts either. When I've heard of friends/family returning gifts I've bought, I've quietly been hurt a little. Wrong size? Sure, get the right size. But just dump the gift and use the store credit? Maybe because I try to think up something that suits the giftee and try to get something perhaps they wouldn't buy themselves, but would enjoy getting nonetheless.

Having said that, I have gotten some crappy gifts along the "golf" lines, lol. As an avid golfer one who is not would frequently get something golf related like a trinket, or "accessory". Usually they are silly and/or worthless, but I DO appreciate the effort in any event.

As an aside, here's my "How to Buy for a Golfer" guide:

Balls: Golfers are usually quite particular about the ball they play. The dozen "Crow-flites" from KMart for $7.99 will more likely be hit into a pond for fun (or returned) then played, lol. More expensive is better. So, any old box of balls usually won't do - try to find out what he/she plays. If they're too expensive, then get some from the same maker (i.e. Titleist) but a less expensive model.

Shoes: Foot-Joy. Enough said. They are the best! Spend over $100 too. Golfers like quality shoes and dry feet.

Bags: If he/she carries, they might appreciate a well-made standalone bag. Again, spend a few bucks (over $100). More pockets/zippers = happier giftee. If he/she carts it, then a bigger, nice bag will be appreciated as well.

Clubs: Very personal. Don't try to buy a loved one clubs unless you know exactly what they are looking for. Even then, flex, kick-point, lie, loft etc. are all still very personal.

Clothing: One can NEVER go wrong with a well made golf shirt, shorts, hat or golf towel. Go for it!

Knick-knacks: I've gotten a few and generally like them. You know, the statue of the golfer breaking a club over his leg, lol. But I have a sports-themed recreation room, so it works for me. If your loved one doesn't have that, steer clear if you can. Three Stooges posters aren't always a hit, lol.

Stocking stuffers: Sleeves of quality balls, tees, socks, golf glove or divot tools (nice ones clip to the pocket with a magnetic ball-marker thingy) are very nice to receive. Stay away from yardage view finders, stroke calculators, "all-in-one" tools, training aids, etc. They're junky and gimmicky.

A lesson from a quality instructor is a really nice gift. Many, many golfers don't take lessons, so that falls into the "get something he wouldn't buy for himself" category.

OR, of course, go to the sporting-goods store and get a gift card :)

0 kind commenters: