BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 13, 2007

Proper Princess?

My wife had a retirement party to go to last night. She works with her best friend so her best friend went as as well as did her husband since he works for the city too.

Is that clear? Probably not. Anyway, the result is that I watched my Little One and our friend's two little ones; a girl who's my kid's age (they're best friends) and their 2+ year old son.

Both kids are adorable and reasonably well-mannered so it was a pleasant evening in spite of the fact that they totally trashed Little One's room to the point where they were falling over stuff at every turn.

Of course the two girls, being four and a half and five, are all about princesses. Mine owns no less than 4 play outfits and each thoroughly enjoy dressing up complete with mock jewelry. Then they trade clothes and do it all over again. Its really cute and they have an absolute ball and I thrill in listening to their interaction and little princess stories. No doubt, they are totally girly-girls.

Apparently caught up in the excitement, the little boy comes to me with a Snow White dress wearing only his underwear. He wants me to help him put it on. Little One told me that he's worn princess costumes at home when she's stayed over. I guess the kid's dad is a bit bothered by it, but lets it fly.

Its a bit weird if not a big deal. I like to think I'm pretty liberal-minded. Who someone chooses to love, live with, marry or have sex with is their business. What gender someone wants to be is perfectly ok with me. Activities people do in the the privacy of their own bedroom don't phase me in the slightest. And if some dude wants to wear a dress or panties in his spare time, what do I care?

Usually if it doesn't affect the price of beer I don't really give a crap.

But.

This one bothered me a little. Maybe I feel he's small and impressionable. Maybe being a friend's child I feel a bit protective. I just didn't like the idea of him slipping on frilly dresses and ballerina tutus and whatnot. Is he merely wanting to be like big sister? Is it just play to a kid that age? I would guess so. But, could it be something "inside" the kid or something that could be guarded against to perhaps make his life easier down the road? Probably not, but who really knows?

I was a psychology major in college. I'm sure at some point we broached this and it was credited to just being a curious, fun-loving child and not subjecting himself to modern mores or societal stereotypes and inhibitions. I don't really remember though. Maybe I was hung over and missed that class.

Well, I decided to help him zip it up. It was weird and I thought he looked too feminine. However, if his parents don't really care then I shouldn't. Again, its their business.

I was, however, relieved later when he brought me his pajamas to change into. They had cool trucks all over them!

4 kind commenters:

Katie said...

I was just talking about this at lunch with a friend. It sounds like to me he just wanted to be able to play with his big sister.

When I was little I would do my brother's hair and we would play dress up together... ok not the best example since he has some problems... but I would like to believe that those innocent games didn't affect him in a negative way.

But anyway. I would have been a bit uncomfortable too about it. More worried than anything that his parents would be angry even though they sound so understanding.

NouveauBlogger said...

lol @ "ok, not the best example..." - how you put it, not his situation.

Seems weird but he's only two....I can reevaluate when he's like 8, lol.

Constance Burris said...

I wonder about that with my 3 year old son. He doesn't ask to put on dresses but sometimes he'll play with Maya's dolls. Not so much anymore. So it is definitely curiousity thing and kids hate to be left out of play. but I've started telling him the differences between boys and girls, so its helping. He also has a good dose of boys at his daycare to play with.

--I remember my brother would dress up in bra and panties over his clothes and dance on the table. With four kids and three baby moma's, i guess we can't accuse him of being a gay.

NouveauBlogger said...

lol @ your brother comments...I don't know, but, somehow playing with dolls seems different to me than dressing up like a princess.