BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 7, 2007

Tutor

My first two years of college I was a Biology major. It was incredibly hard and after my fourth semester of it, I realized there were simply too many, much smarter kids for me to compete with so I switched over the Psychology. Shit came much easier for them then me. I guess I wasn't cut out for it.

Part of being a Bio major, however, is intensive math courses since it factors in so much for all the Chemistry.

After Trig for Calc, advanced Algebra and Calculus comes Calculus II. I found Calc II difficult insomuch as I wasn't remembering all the Trigonometry functions as well as I should have. If you've never taken Calculus II its one of those classes where you have to prove 2+2=4 and why. One problem could easily take up two or three sheets of paper. Anyway, after getting a 33 on the first of my 3 tests (1 answer correct out of 3 - oh brother) I decided I needed to take action. I saw a tutor.

Well, I showed up for the appointment and the friggin' kid was 16!!!!! My college Calculus II (300 level course) tutor was 16!!!! I was 20. He was smart as a whip, but not a very good tutor probably because everything came so damn easy to him. While I was off working on some problems he had given to me, I heard him talking to another young tutor about his driver's test coming up! The kid couldn't even drive legally to the appointment. His mom must have taken him.

How humiliating.

So, at the end of the session, I told him I would gladly take his driver's test and promise to pass it if he would take my next exam and promise the same.

He smirked.

I guess he was an adequate tutor. I rallied in the class and passed with a B or something since the teacher was reasonable in assuming if one could ace the final, then they had learned the material from the first test and skewed my final grade likewise. Phew!!!

Thank God! And I didn't have to take his driver's test although I think it would have been funny if I showed up in a racing helmet, fire suit and driving gloves to take it.

6 kind commenters:

Katie said...

I'm horrible at math but I could never bring myself to find a tutor. I guess if I go back to college I'll have to :(

NouveauBlogger said...

Honestly, I never saw myself needing a tutor either, but desparate times called for desparate measures and I certainly didn't want to repeat any classes when I was going to school solely on my own dime, lol.

minijonb said...

i can test well on math for a standardized test, but anything beyond the basics has always made my head swim. you've been a braver man than i.

NouveauBlogger said...

Bravery in the face of a pimple-faced pee-on who couldn't even drive yet, lol

Unknown said...

Did you hire a tutor from myhwsolution.com . They help you out with your homework, give a homework solution and help you learn the material. If you are taking an online course then this is the best way to get help.

NouveauBlogger said...

Ummmmm....dude? There wasn't even an INTERNET then!!! LMAO. Stupid blog spammer.