BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Fore and a Day at the Beach

I had such a great long weekend. Went to a cool party Saturday afternoon and had my fantasy football draft (I did shitty) last night. More important, I golfed all three days but none was as much fun as Sunday afternoon's round when Mrs. Blogger played with me. The Little One was off camping with her aunt, so the Mrs. and I had a nice day and night without kid responsibilities.


She'll play golf with me about twice a year. She really doesn't have a passion for sports but she is an excellent athlete. Actually, I think she is a better natural athlete than me but because she doesn't have drive for athletics, she isn't inclined to practice or play more often. Usually, she just plays so we can spend time together. There's a lot to like about her swing and she takes instruction well (from a husband, no less), plus she takes each shot seriously. That's all I can ask.


She was totally psyched up to par the third hole too! The assistant pro for the club was in the group ahead of us and even he didn't par the hole so she really got a charge out of it. That's the beauty of golf in a lot of ways, you can at any instance be better than someone much better than yourself.


My main goal, though, is for her to have a good time. I want her to want to keep coming back out and since she's had more than her fair share of rainy or wickedly hot rounds, we were glad to see how beautiful the weather turned out. Clear skies and 78 degrees with just enough breeze to be perfectly comfortable.

Also, I tempered the amount of instruction to keep things light and easy (which I'm also doing with the Little One at the range) and while she didn't have her best round ever, she did hit some of her best shots ever. Her problem was she couldn't stay out of the damn sand (she should have brought a towel and a radio for the amount of time spent in the sand) or putt the ball close enough. I suppose, though, that's every golfers dilemma.

No doubt, it'd be cool if she was more into it, but I'm happy that she agrees to come spend time with me doing what I love to hate so much. I marvel at her natural talent but she doesn't see it. She just sees what's going wrong. I like that, too. It shows competitiveness, even if only with herself. I also happened to have one of my better rounds of the year shooting a tidy 80. Perhaps its because my game's coming around (it is, for sure) or just playing with someone new to the incredibly hard game that it keeps me relaxed. Its hard for me to get real upset missing a birdie putt for 3 when she's up around 9 strokes or so and still 50 feet away.

Afterwards we went out to a nice dinner and then to see the Simpson's Movie. I'm a huge Simpsons fan, but I was a bit disappointed in the movie but then I'm not sure what I expected.

It wasn't nearly enough to spoil the day though. Can't wait to play again. Can't wait for Mrs. B. to join me again.

0 kind commenters: