BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Busy, busy

Like many in blogworld lately, I've been quite busy so my commenting is down as well as my posts.

I took a few extra days off from work, so, naturally when I returned I had to kick it into high gear to catch up, put out fires and deal with all the new crap I normally handle. Luckily, however, I haven't had to call that company yet.

Anyway, over the weekend I began replacing my roof which included a complete tear down of the old one and installation of new shingles as well as two new skylights. Four days of hard labor basically running from 7am to 6pm. I had the help of my brother and nephew on Saturday for the tear down and my buddy helped over the weekend on both days. My father-in-law was at my side nearly the entire time all four days and I'm not sure I could have handled the skylights, at least without having leaks, without him. My living room looks wonderful with them as well. So brights and cheery. We love it! So, thanks boss!! You rock!!

Also, extremely helpful was Mrs. Blogger. I'm respectful of heights but not terribly afraid of them. Mrs. B is to the point that she's shaking nervously at the 5th step of a 6 foot ladder. Yet, she got her cute butt up the ladder, on the scaffold and eventually up on the roof. Day one had her wide-eyed and nervous but by day four, she was walking around the roof like an old pro even cutting and nailing in shingles along the edges. Plus, when she wasn't working her fingers raw, she was keeping the crew fed and hydrated since over the weekend it was in the mid-eighties. Temps that high are very unusual around these parts in October.

Good job Honey! We're all proud of you.

This coming weekend we should be able to wrap up the rest of the project. The front of my house, which is nearly complete and included the skylight installation, is about two-thirds of the job and its mostly done. I/we merely need to install the ridge vent and strip and shingle the backside. The fall, though, is a lot higher back there at two stories. In that event Mrs. B. may choose to be ground control as in cleanup, chef and supply clerk. But we'll see.

3 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

I am afraid of heights and somehow managed to get on a ladder and paint our huge walls in the family room. We have 9 foot ceilings on both the first and second floor, and the walls in the family room go all the way up both stories. That makes them way higher than I ever thought I would paint. I know I felt an awesome sense of accomplishment once I was finished and got through my fear, and I bet your wife feels the same way. That being said, I'd rather make the snacks the next time and skip being up so high!

Is your weather cold now? It was hot here for a really long time and yesterday it got super cold...so cold that I turned the heat on for the night just in case it got below 62 (I have no idea why I chose that random number to program it to).

Katie said...

Wow, that's hard work. I'm glad you had some help. And sky lights, those are always nice. :)

NouveauBlogger said...

R-Girl --- yeah its cooled down to the mid 60's and its been drizzly the past couple days. We went nearly 3 months without rain and I wonder what this winter will bring. And good for you for painting your tall rooms!

Katie -- it IS really hard work. My wife said "next time I meet a roofer, I'm going to give him a big hug." Its even harder for a desk-jockey like myself. The skylights are wonderful! They really set the room apart.