BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 22, 2007

Sox Win!

My Red Sox won last night and are on their way to the World Series! I am so psyched about that especially since the NFL season, at least for this Jets fan, is essentially over.

My buddy and his friend went to the same place we were when the Sox won it all in 2004. Its a little hotel "sports bar" that has more televisions than patrons I think. I'm not terribly superstitious about much but those two were and Boston won. So why mess with a good thing?

His friend can be VERY negative in a doomsday sort of voice. I know the Red Sox have left their share of heartache on New England, but I guess I'm an eternal optimist. I'm always thinking "No, they can do it" or "Lets not worry, that error didn't score yet" while the friend, who's otherwise a terrific guy, is of the attitude "Oh, man, they're going to blow it" and "I can't believe he booted that ball. Here we go again". But they didn't blow it. Just as they didn't in '04.

On the myriad of televisions was Sunday Night Football and the Red Sox. Everyone was having a ball and we noticed a guy setting up a Karaoke Machine. We were all like, "They're kidding, right? Nobody is here to sing Evergreen tonight, are they?" Apparently, management thought better of it and the DJ sat at the bar until the last out of the game, which must have been around 11:40. The singing began as we were leaving. Perfect timing.

What I found even weirder than that, though, was Kevin Millar announcing the lineup and throwing out the first pitch. Kevin Millar was one of the main components, especially as a team rally-er, for Boston's win in 2004. But he's not with the team anymore! He went to the Baltimore Orioles via free agency and he still plays for Baltimore. Its strange that a current player from another team in the same division shows up to support his old team and his old teammates. He even referred to Boston as "us" and "them".

While I have no doubt that when Millar goes back to his team during spring training he will endeavor to do everything in his power to help them win. However, I think as a teammate I would have an issue with his support of "the Enemy".

But, Hell. It worked for "us". The World Series starts Wednesday. Go Sox!!!

2 kind commenters:

minijonb said...

The Sox will win this Series... just a matter of how many games it will take.

However, I said that last year about my Tigers... so don't listen to me!

NouveauBlogger said...

Let's hope you're right this time then.