BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Brrrrr

We woke up this morning to a temperature of 2 outside. Two degrees! With wind. Brrrrr. But at least we had heat.

Last Thursday we woke up to no heat. The house was about 59 so I stuck around that morning waiting for a serviceman to come fix it. I'm reasonably handy around the house, but I wouldn't know where to begin with that stuff. He arrived promptly and cleaned the furnace nozzle or some shit.

Last Thursday night, Mrs. Bloggger text me in class to say we had no heat! What. The. Fuck? So we "reset it" (pushed a button which gets the heat back on temporarily) and the heat didn't die until the morning wherein Mrs. B. waited for another serviceman. This time he changed some fitzer valve or flux capacitor or some crap like that.

Monday morning comes: we had no heat! Now. You. Are. Fucking. Kidding. Me.!!!! Arrrrrrgh! So, again Mrs. B. stayed home, the service guy (a different one then the other two) came and adjusted some screw. Allegedly, it was letting too much air in. Yeah, ok. Whatever!

Tuesday morning: guess what? We have no Goddamn heat! Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuuuuuuck!!! Its New Year's day, of course and my parents are expected shortly. They send over the tallest serviceman in the history of servicemen. He was 6' 7" I kid you not. I would imagine that's a tough job at that height with all the working in the tight confines, like where my furnace is located. But, hey, that's his problem. This nice enough man (who wanted to talk way too much) replaced the oil filter and flushed out the oil lines. Awesome! Heat! Yay. Take care, Kareem Abdul Jabbar!

Yesterday afternoon my dad (my parents are staying for a bit) calls to say THEY HAVE NO HEAT!! Double-dog-fuckity fuck with a thin layer of fucktardedness and a heaping side of WHAT THE FUCK???!!!! He was apologizing for calling me!

Sorry for my language, but, really! Come On! So, as I'm leaving work early to tend to this matter I realize not one repairman of the four different ones has said anything about the air filter. And, since its a very difficult size to find, I know for fact it hasn't replaced since last summer (it filters the central air too) so I get to thinking.......

I pulled the filter. The friggin' thing was nearly impenetrable. I mean, all clogged up like I panned for gold in the mud with it. In the first class of HVAC school, right after they pass out the syllabus, isn't that where they start? I mean, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it and I'm not a trained technician.

So I drove half way around the state visiting three "supply stores" before finding the right size wherein I bought a half-dozen of them. Once home, I replaced it and reset the furnace. So far so good. I'm thinking the lack of airflow caused the unit to overheat so it would shut itself down by tripping the reset so as not to burn out the motor or whatever. None of which was covered in my undergraduate Psychology degree at any point.

What do you wanna bet that does the trick? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And, no, I don't know what the bill is yet. But I'm sure to dispute it heartily.

5 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

Crazy! Number one that your degree is in Psychology (mine too) and number two that they didn't check it! We had an air conditioning problem that was similar in that the solution was so simple that I was eventually the one to figure it out after they had been here a bunch of times to "fix" it. Hopefully your problem is now solved!

ZZZZZZZ said...

hmmm. 2 degrees eh? No sir, I don't like it!

NouveauBlogger said...

RG - It is crazy. And I found out its not fixed. It didnt' fire up last night. Arrrrrgh!!!

Sheila - And yet tomorrow will be close to 60 here. Go figure and welcome to New England!

minijonb said...

we had that 60 degree weather today. ...and last night now that i think about it. it was strange walking around in that warm air last night.

so, good thing you don't need the funrace... for the next day! good luck getting that thing fixed.

NouveauBlogger said...

Yeah Jon - we're in full spring fever mode here! Too bad it can't last.