BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 31, 2008

One More

One more.

Popular phrase. Frequently, it's the answer to a question.

Another drink? Yeah, why not? One more.

Or. Ok, one more brownie.

How about, One more won't kill me. I assume that's not applicable to a Speed Ball. Or leap off a bridge.

Convey a sense of dread? One more shopping day to Christmas. Maybe.

One more ski run and we'll call it a day. Ah, good times. Legs afire for that last run as you savor it not knowing when you may be back.

It could be, One more kid? Um. I don't think so. Nooooo......Mrs. B's not pregnant. I don't think. No, she's not. I'm sure of it.

One thing for sure. One more class. One more 130 mile round-trip commute. One more three and one half hour stay in that big room with all the felt tables. One more break of Mountain Dew and Peanut M&Ms. One more night away from my family. In the past 12 weeks, I've gone to dealer school 4 nights a week. Three months. That's 47 times, people. And there's only one more.

Our final written exam was last Friday. I scored 98 thank you very much. Highest in the class. Cool beans. On the two major tests I scored 99 and 98. I'm a good test taker and I believe I may be the only person in class with a college degree so I probably much more experience. Having said that, there's a bunch of smart, well-read people in the class who's company I've enjoyed. And that's saying something! At times its all too easy to get on my nerves or under my skin.

Our auditions were Monday and Tuesday and I did excellently if I do say so myself. One rather minor error but no bid deal otherwise. The instructors seem to like to put me at tables, as a player, for dealers who are a bit weaker at certain games. I usually know the procedures and I definitely know the games and the hands. As a group, we have come so far though. Its amazing how polished we've become (although, inconsistent still -- smoothness will come with time in the real battle -- on the floor). Many of the students had never played blackjack even. Many had no idea what hands beat what at poker. So I had the advantage of experience as a player.

Anyway, tonight wraps it all up. There's no cap and gown and tassle thingy transition from left to right (or is it right to left?). I don't imagine there will be a commencement speech and there certainly won't be any friends and family in attendance as we parade across a stage. But we will receive our gaming licenses and after orientation next month we will begin work in accordance with our submitted schedules. We're told they need each and every one of us as soon as possible (then move up the damn orientation!). Whatever.

Instead, my classmates, who are bonded in a way only a group brought together through difficult circumstances can be, will share a dinner in the break room. And a nice group it is. Quite diverse. We have black, hispanic, Korean, Chinese, and caucausian students consisting of a college kid, a few middle agers changing careers, some young moms finding careers, older moms changing careers and two guys (another and I) just looking for decent part-time work to make some extra bucks. Everyone gets along quite well, seem considerate and intelligent and we have plenty of laughs despite a few minor spats.

So, with permission from our instructors, we have planned the feast fit for a king. Or the Amish. Or an anti-anorexia group or whatever. I know there will be a Dunkin' Donuts Box of Joe. That was my assignment. Easy enough. There will be sushi. Homemade lasagna. Mexican Chicken. Chips. Soda. Cake. Cupcakes. And salad (vegetables? we don't need no stinkin' vegetables). We will all hang out in the break room and breathe a collective deep sigh of relief that the journey is over. Rumor has it there may be Champagne or beer in the parking lot afterwards. But I don't know nothing!

So that's it. I've missed my family. I miss being around at night. I won't miss having to iron my white shirt and black pants (class uniform) every night and dashing off as I kiss my girls goodbye and they cuddle up on a nice warm couch. I won't miss the 65 minute commute each way (thank God for Sirius radio). I won't miss coming home after 1 am so I can get 5 hours sleep or less and start it all over again. I will miss my classmates a bit though. I'm sure to run into a few when we begin work though.

Just one more class.


5 kind commenters:

minijonb said...

you can make it. will they give you a diploma?

Skeeter said...

Maximum congrats are in order! Got through the tests, the auditions and all of that, now it's time to throw some cards and pay off those student loans. Welcome to a new tax bracket my friend. ;-)

NouveauBlogger said...

Actually, they did give us a certificate, Jon.

Thanks Skeeter - usually paying more taxes means you're making more money. That's a good thing, right?

Radioactive Tori said...

Hooray! I am so excited. I remember when you were just trying to decide if you should do this or not. I bet you are glad you took the chance! Have fun and enjoy the last one!

NouveauBlogger said...

Thanks R-girl -- it'll be weird to be able to go home tonight and just chill out.