BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 21, 2008

So Stupid

While listening to the radio yesterday, during one of my many endless commutes, they played a comical bumper of women from The View (as I recognized Whoopi and Barbara Walter's voices) wherein some idiot could not answer whether the world was round or flat. I didn't know who it was at the time, but after a bit of research I learned it was Sherri Shepherd.

I don't know jack about The View except that its a reasonably successful daytime talk show and that Barbara Walters, respected newswoman, is a host and co-producer.

I know even less about Sheppard except that she doesn't know if the world is round or flat and seems to me to be blinded to the scientifically obvious, as are many, by her devotion to God. While that issue drives me nuts at time, I really go crazy about her ignorance to issues that don't fly in the face of her faith. Like; is the Earth round or flat? I mean, you have to be friggin' kidding me! How can an adult, let alone an adult in the entertainment/news business, not know? Check out this site to get a sense of her tone also. Its as if knowing that fact is a complete waste of time and she's astonished that others can't believe she doesn't know it.

Below is part of the transcript, which I also lifted from the aforementioned site.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG: Is the world flat?

SHERRI SHEPHERD: Is the world flat? (laughter)

GOLDBERG: Yes.

SHEPHERD: …I Don’t know.

GOLDBERG: What do you think?

SHEPHERD: I… I never thought about it, Whoopi. Is the world flat? I never thought about it.

BARBARA WALTERS: You’ve never thought about whether the world was round or flat?

SHEPHERD: I tell you what I’ve thought about. How I’m going to feed my child–

WALTERS: Well you can do both.

SHEPERD: …how I’m going to take care of my family. The world, is the world flat has never entered into, like that has not been an important thing to me.

ELIZABETH HASSELBECK: You’ll teach your son, Jeffery, right?

SHEPHERD: If my son, Jeffery, asks me ‘is the world flat,’ I guess I would go…

JOY BEHAR: You know, didn’t some person already work this question out? I mean, why are we doing this again? (laughter, applause)


Walter's response of "Well you can do both" is priceless. I couldn't put it in those words, but my thoughts upon hearing it were along those lines. She doesn't think about it because she's busy thinking about how she's going to feed her child? Listen, she probably makes 10 times or more than I make! Yet, I have plenty of time think about how I will feed my child AND keep basic life knowledge in my simple, partially-evolved brain.

Besides, Shepherd's response implies she had a child when? In third grade when one learns this shit!!! I don't think so.


It would seem Joy Behar's constant grin screams "What an idiot!" and her response was to move on and avoid any further embarrassment for Shepherd. But Jesus, how can she not know THAT? She completely lost all credibility for anything she says as far as I'm concerned. What other basic elementary school knowledge does she not know? She would have to research it if her kid asks! I wonder if she knows her multiplication tables.

Obviously, her level of ignorance torques me. Assuming she has at the least a high school diploma, does that not diminish other's with the same level of education who know the most basic wisdom? And, what qualifications does she possess to be on a show called "The View"? None that I can see.

Lady, if you don't know the Earth is a sphere, then we can't take any view you have seriously and, in fact, nobody should have to listen to it.

I'm no Einstein for sure, but at times I'm exhausted from other's stupidity.

*Sigh*

2 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

Somehow I happened to be watching the show when that aired. I have no idea why because I never watch the show. I was on the treadmill and flipping channels and it came on. I could not look away or change the channel. At first I thought she was trying to make a joke but as the questions progressed it became clear that she really didn't know. That is just sad to me.

NouveauBlogger said...

Sad is one emotion for it. But it rather angered me, lol.