BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Svelt

When I was a lad of 19 or so I worked in a ski shop. Of course, selling ski boots was part of the job and I had a female customer one time who liked a particular pair. The ones she selected were not appropriate for her skill level or her height and weight so I was trying to steer her towards a different pair that were slightly more expensive. She began grilling me on why she needed to spend more money when she was comfortable in the less expensive pair. I tried to explain that the pair she liked were below her skill level as well as too soft for her. She had an athletic build and was by no means fat nor was she rail thin.

In explaining I told her something like, "Well you're not svelt, so I don't think they will be the best choice for you." I don't think at the time I fully understood the meaning of svelt. Her response was mildly offended but she laughed it off as did her boyfriend with her.

Later, and today upon reflection, I realize how hurtful that may have been to her. Unless she was completely comfortable with herself, I can only imagine the bitching she did about me afterwards. Or maybe she even cried.

She did, however, go with the boots I suggested and, no, I didn't work on commission.

So, to the nice, biggish skier lady from 1986, I apologize here in public for the poor choice of words I used as a naive young man. I realize now that they may have impacted you more than I ever intended.

Incidentally, women will wear the most painful and awkward shoes in order to look good at a dance or a wedding or whathaveyou, but none, in my experience, would give up a lick of comfort for performance when it came to ski boots or ice skates. Men would.

5 kind commenters:

Skeeter said...

It's very thoughtful for you to post this thought in your blog. Thank for you for it too. Compassion and human decency are sentiments that don't get much play in the mainstream these days. Thanks again for reminding us all :-)

Radioactive Tori said...

I think a lot of times people don't realize that what they say means a lot more to the person they say it to than it does to them. I think things stick with the person it was said to a lot longer than the person who said it...most times it wasn't meant to mean anything at all in the first place.

That was sweet of you to remember it and write about it. It shows a lot about what a great person you are.

NouveauBlogger said...

Thanks both of you.

Its funny, my thoughts when I typed it was to show a flaw (its not the only time I've ever put my foot in my mouth) but you both reversed it to tell me how nice I was. So, thanks again!

ZZZZZZZ said...

aww, that's thoughtful of you. I often say things that in retrospect I probably could have worded better.

NouveauBlogger said...

I'm sure we all do Sheila :)