BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 18, 2008

Tooth Fairy Inflation


When I arrived to pick up The Little One from school on Friday evening she delighted in showing me she had a loose tooth. A very loose tooth. How this thing went from being rather solid to practically blowing in the breeze in 9 short hours is beyond me.

Of course, she couldn't keep her fingers and tongue off it all evening. Out of the many experiences of being a young kid, that's one I remember vividly. It seemed nearly impossible not to play with that loose tooth and after it was gone, my tongue seemed bent on some primitive mission to keep fiddling with that new hole.

Flash forward to Sunday morning; 2 a.m. A tiny hand pushes my shoulder in that five-year-old-I-have-something-to-say-and-your-sleep-is-of-no-importance shove. "Daddy! Daddy! My tooth came out." It appears her night-time teeth grinding serves a purpose after all. I'm just glad she didn't swallow it.

Consequently, last night, Mrs. B set up the little tooth for the Tooth Fairy wherein I learned the going rate is $5. Holy crap is inflation that bad? I made a dime and was jealous of my friends making a quarter. Has inflation increased 50 times in the past 35 years of so? I guess so.

But then, my parents shared a car and my dad would never dream of eating lunch out every day during work and would convulse at the thought of buying a $2 coffee nearly every day like I do. I guess we can afford it.

So the Little One has a cute little gap-toothed smile that will soon be filled in by no-doubt crooked and too big teeth which will require braces in 6 or 7 years. So I have that to look forward to.

Oh. And my parents response when I thought I needed braces (not badly, but my friends all had them)? "You're a boy. You're teeth are fine." What the HELL is that supposed to mean?

5 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

I just tried to leave a comment, but it disappeared. My kids get $5 per tooth, but it was supposed to be only $1. My oldest happened to lose two teeth right in a row when I wasn't expecting it and all I had was $5 each time so the amount was set. My neighbors are sort of irritated with me that my kids get that much because in our neighborhood the amount seems to be set around $1 a tooth.

NouveauBlogger said...

LOL - that's funny!

I've left comments for you too that disappeared.

Skeeter said...

You just gotta love the Tooth Fairy. I'm from the same inflation era that you are - a quarter was a pretty good haul for a pesky old tooth. One time one of my brothers and I were out walking around in a pasture and found a cow's skull. We each pulled a tooth out of the old skull and brought them home. Of course we told the parents that we were going to get rich from the Tooth Fairy because if our little bitty teeth would bring in a dime or a quarter on a good day, then these gigantic old cow's teeth should bring in a dollar or two. We put 'em under the pillow and went to sleep. I woke up and found my mom trying to pull that big old thing out from under the pillow. She threw it into the trashcan and that's when I figured out "who" the Tooth Fairy was. Don't ya just hate it when that happens?

minijonb said...

It was fifty cents back in my day...

just like the singer...

...sorry, that was a lame pun!

NouveauBlogger said...

Yeah, we got screwed eh?