BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Daddy / Daughter Day

Mrs. B. had to go in to work on Saturday so I took the opportunity to have a daddy/daughter day with The Little One. Its not an unusual event but I feel guilty about doing some fun things without her mom present. At the same time I cherish the alone time with her to do fun stuff that isn't as much up Mrs. B's alley. And let's face it, The Little One is a bit different with her mother around which is a bit more clingy and dependent. I prefer the independent version.

So. What's a guy like me who's going to Vegas in 10 days during which I'll golf to do? Of course, take her to the driving range! Nearby is a covered one that is marginally heated. The heat wasn't great and it was actually a chilly 38 degrees out and snowing! Not a blizzard, but snowing. Nuts.

She rather liked the fact we were hitting golf balls into the snow so I took that opportunity to teach her that to excel at something, one has to persevere and sometimes deal with discomfort or inclement weather or whatever. I didn't use those words exactly because she's 5 but I was attempting some father-type life lessons.

Her cheeks and nose got red. Her winter jacket never came off either. And afterwards she mentioned her hands were tingly (she miss hit one at the end and I think she got a stinging sensation from it). But there was not one word of complaint from my little girl as we practiced. She kept coming back to my bucket to grab more balls with a "watch this daddy" smile and a genuine attempt to do her best. Her best has improved quite a bit from last year too, no doubt from getting bigger and stronger. And practice.

I don't instruct much. Sometimes I'll ask if she wants some but if she doesn't, I let her whack away at them. If she does, I give her one or two things to key on and she'll do it that way until her mind wanders. Its all good. I want to keep it fun and she had a blast. So did I even if I did hit them lousy myself. She's good on my ego. "Daddy. I need binoculars to see that one you hit it so far. Did you hit it over the fence?" (I didn't).

While leaving the lobby she asked if she could have some candy. I told her how proud I was of her efforts and how tough she is and I would buy her some candy, but not there.

I took her to a special candy place and wondered if she understood where we were when I was parking and walking up. Once in the that lobby, upon viewing the velvet ropes and posters she got it. We were at the movies. I took her to see Alvin and the Chipmunks which was cute and mildly amusing. And she got her candy. Sour patch kids which she shared with me over a diet Coke.

She was such a trooper through the day and continued after we got home. It was pure joy on my part and I love that time with her and I know she enjoyed it immensely as well.

Then, on Sunday she explicitly told me she likes mommy better than me. That stings a bit when its said, but its probably universal among kids and I try not to take too much offense to it. Of course, I'll still look forward to our next day together. Just she and I.

2 kind commenters:

Skeeter said...

Nouveau,

Hope that trip to Vegas works out well for you. One of my friends went out there a few years back, got a great job in the software division of a solid company, got married, got a house, you know, the whole nine yards. He loves the city and everything except the traffic.

The Mrs. and I will celebrate our 25th in May. We have one child. When he was your daughter's age, I would take him swimming. He loved splashing around and having fun. It took him a while to get the hang of staying on top of the water rather than sinking like a stone. I encouraged his swimming over the years and now he is a freshman at a great university in the northeast. He swims for their team. In a couple weeks from now the NCAA meets will begin, so it's a very exciting time for all. Sports, like swimming or gold, can be a lot of fun for kids and if they enjoy it, that's great. If they have a talent and develop it, they can turn that gift into something special too.

It's universal for certain ... and then they become teenagers ...

NouveauBlogger said...

Skeeter --

I just like the gambling and excitement. Vegas is the classic "nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there" location in my mind.

And I agree with you re: the sports. Its great if they're not great at it....if they become great at it, then all the better.

As to becoming teenagers -- I have plenty of teenage nieces. Could be interesting! lol