BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 6, 2007

Comdey Night

The Little One went camping with her Aunt over the weekend so Mrs. B. and I had some quality time together, even going so far as to take a nap together Saturday afternoon after a nice swim. Granted, it was only an hour nap, but nice nonetheless and those of you with young children are, not doubt, envious.

That evening we called some friends on the spur of the moment and although they had alternate plans, dropped everything to join us (because we're fun, dammit!) for the evening. We all went to a relatively new comedy club in the mall near us. Yeah, its really in a mall. It was the second time the Mrs. and I have been and its quickly becoming one of our favorite ways to spend an evening. There's drinks, dinner and laughs and you can't beat that in my book. Then after we went out for a few more drinks at a local sidewalk cafe on what has to have been one of the most perfect evenings ever in terms of weather, if not company.

The first time we went to the club, about 2 months ago, the Master of Ceremonies and first and third comedians were hysterical. The 2nd one, a woman, wasn't so great. But the others provided plenty of laughs (one joke about "conditioner" on the shower curtain in an apartment of 3 bald guys perhaps clues you in to that particular comedians level - but still funny). The headliner that night was Mike Birbiglia and he killed. Mrs. B. even went so far as to purchase his CD after the show. Its pretty cool to be able to meet and b.s. with the comedians afterwards as they try to make a few extra bucks.

This past Saturday, all three comedians were great and the headliner, a British comedian named John Oliver had me/us laughing at nearly everything he said. Although British, he seemed very tuned into American politics, geography and culture and expertly poked fun at us without offending. His talent has led him to being a correspondent on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Good stuff!

Professional comedians amaze me. Its one thing, in my mind, to be funny in the company of your friends and family, to say something witty at the right time, or spin a good tale or be demonstratively funny. Its another to be able to stand up in front of total strangers, who've paid for you to make them laugh, and do so for 45 minutes straight. Obviously, its a gift, not unlike a musician, and has to be honed and practiced. But, also like a musician, when its bad, it makes the audience's spine hurt.

These guys were far from bad. They was a thing of beauty. I can't imagine to balls it takes to pursue that career.

I hear the club may be in some financial straits. It was about 85% full Saturday night and I would hope that's enough to keep it around as its damn good value for a night out at about $22 plus dinner and drinks.




4 kind commenters:

Katie said...

that sounds like such a great time. I love stand up but have never been to a club like that. I don't event think we have one here in Oklahoma City, let alone the state.

minijonb said...

we all need a good laugh sometimes. this reminds me of the worst joke i ever heard on MTV's comedy hour:

"So this Southern gentleman came up to me and said, 'Comedy club? Damn... see that 2x4 over there? That's a comedy club. Cuz when I hit you over the head with it, I'm gonna laugh my ass off!'"

Radioactive Tori said...

That sounds wonderful! I haven't been to a comedy club since I was first dating my husband. Maybe we'll have to go again soon.

NouveauBlogger said...

Katie - no? I would think OKC is bigger than Hartford. Even the little bars around here are gettting in on the act. Probably because comedy draws better than cover bands.

lol Jon

R-girl -- you really should, as difficult as it can be with kids. Btw, I've been unable to comment at your blog :(