BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 31, 2007

Children of Men

We went to Chili's for dinner last night and genius that I am, I decided to have hot wings for an appetizer. I thought it was early enough in the evening not to affect me, but sure enough I was up at 2:50 a.m. staring at the wall because my stomach was quaking.



Usually, when that happens and I can't sleep I don't fight it. I go downstairs and watch TV until I drift off again. Sometimes I watch a movie. Last night it was Children of Men. I've pretty much abandoned my "movie reviews" as I find my way in blogging but I have to say this movie blew me away so let's talk about it.

I won't critique it or review it really but it totally stood out to me. If you haven't seen it I won't spoil it much here, but if you're dying to see it and don't want to risk me ruining it, go check out some cool blogs to the left.

Children of Men was terrifically shot and well acted in a mostly understated way. Some action scenes followed the lead character through a city at war with no camera breaks for the longest time. Incredible. I didn't time it or anything, but one scene in particular must have been close to five minutes complete with our hero running from one cover spot to the next as shootings and explosions abound. I can't imagine the number of director takes there must have been to film that particular scene. Or some of the others for that matter.

There's plenty of war-type violence and the reality of it is in accord with the "new" way of filming war/violent scenes. Bullets no longer go "zing" "ping" "peeeowww" like the cowboy shootouts. Instead they are more realistically shown as "pink" and "thwick". Victims "explode" more realistically as well. Seldom does one see a shootee grabbing their stomach and falling to their knees anymore. Parts of them come out the other side and they stagger/fall back in the direction such a serious impact would take them. However, this enhanced violence brings with it enhanced heart-rates in the viewer. It is really quite affecting.

Of note, though, is our lead, Theo, played incredibly and quietly by Clive Owen, uses little violence to ferry the expectant mother, and later mother and child, to "safety". Although the movie leaves the resolution somewhat up in the air.

There are poignant scenes of a temporary truce as rebels and soldiers gawk in amazement as the newborn is whisked out of harms way. Yet, I kept thinking throughout that at any second Theo will grab one of the many available guns. But he never does. I rather liked that angle of the movie. He's basically a passive activist but certainly a brave one.

Another angle I liked was how little the future technology influenced the movie. Since it takes place in 2027 our technology has advanced. But the creators of this fine movie preferred to leave all that in the background. Its there for us to wonder at (clear PC screens, plasma ads on buses, fully computerized cars) but is never intrusive. The director, producers and writers weren't compelled to show off how creative their vision of the future could be instead showing us an entirely plausible one but keeping it mostly out of the story.

The movie is laden with current societal social comment, obvious biblical references and a kick-you-in-the-teeth dark ideal of where humankind could be headed. But the movie also offered up some hope; which is its basic premise. Although things really are shown quite bleakly.

Of course, the new baby - the first one in 18 years - represents hope. My only concern would be who would want to bring a new baby into that world.

Having said that, see this movie if you haven't. Its really terrific. Now I'm going to go read a real review on it.

4 kind commenters:

minijonb said...

That movie looked great, but it all got too over-the-top at the end for me. Clive Owen is great and the rest of the supporting cast was awesome as well. If it was for Owen, I might not have stuck around til the end.

NouveauBlogger said...

Ah - takes a lot for me to bail on a movie, lol....even a really bad one.

Katie said...

I haven't seen this one yet. I keep meaning to rent it but I never have the time. You aren't the only one though that said such good things about it. And I love Clive Owen.:)

NouveauBlogger said...

Yeah, you should get it soon :)