BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dont Get Old

There's tons of bitching blogs out there so please indulge me as I bitch too.

I pulled my calf, yet again, last night on the treadmill. I just can't maintain any kind of continuous exercise without injury. What was I thinking when I toyed with the idea of running a marathon in the fall? Sheesh!

I suppose for many, the lack of being as fit as they could be is time or motivation. For me, its pain. My 40-year-old body is running ragged after years of sports-related physical abuse --

Tackle football, unpadded, into my 20's while getting hit by guys 100 lbs heavier? Sure! No problem. I'll hold my breath tight and ward off the blow.

Running into a fence in centerfield to catch a friggin' softball? Its chain-link and has some give....long as I don't hit a pole. Besides, we're only down 12 runs, this could be a game-breaker.

Rollerblading at night up and down stairs, off walls, over fire hydrants? That's dangerous? Oh, that unusually bent wrist? It can be fixed by an Advil. Or an Orthopedist.

Skiing bumps through the trees on legs that can barely support me in the lift line? Oh, certainly that's not dangerous. In any event, there's an ice cold Bud Lite waiting on me in the lodge!

Ok, I have an even better idea. How about skiing behind a 4x4 with a tow-rope on newly snow-covered streets? Surely, there's minimal inherent risk in that, isn't there? Was that a cop?

Alas, I remember that difficult descent on my sparkling new mountain bike that I hadn't even rode around the block. My confidence bolstered by the cool suspension and my sweet new colorful biker shirt. Piece of cake. Sorta.

Anyway, its no wonder I just can't seem to stay healthy, especially cardio-wise.

After skiing on Sunday, my knees, left big toe and back ached. Now I have this tight spot in my left calf. Goes nicely with my achey right wrist. Same one I broke years ago. Its been bothering me for months and I think I jambed it skiing too. Hmmm...then there's the wicked case of tendinitis in my left elbow. Don't know how that came about, but it hurst like hell lately. Those take forever to get better. And don't get me started on my shoulders. I can't even swim anymore as any kind of pulling motion, especially with my arms away from my body, is painful. Or when The Little One wants to use daddy as a jungle-gym.

Of course, I'm thankful that there's nothing life-threatening or even life-altering But damn! It sure get annoying.

Don't get old.

**Sigh**

2 kind commenters:

Katie said...

Don't get old? Isn't that why they make all those anti-aging creams!? Do you think some of that stuff would do any good for your pains? lol.

your free to bitch all you want! it's your blog, that's the beauty of it... you can say whatever the hell you want to. :)

NouveauBlogger said...

Right! Thanks!

And I'm not so sure about the anti-aging cream,lol. Besides, isn't that stuff expensive?