BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscars

I'm a reasonably big movie fan but for some reason I don't get into the Oscars at all. Admittedly, I tend to see most movies on DVD so I'm a bit behind the times and I have barely seen any of this year's nominees. Plus, it feels like a bunch of rich, spoiled people telling other rich, spoiled people how great they are. What did they give away in the gift bags this year? A new Lexus, Rolex, trip to Australia? Aren't those acceptance speeches such a bore?

I care even less what everyone wore! Why is that such big deal? I just don't get it. They have Melissa and Joan Rivers, The Today Show and of course every time I log in, MSN and Yahoo news reporting on it just to name a few. Who the F cares? Unless what she's wearing falls off, I really don't give a monkey fart. Oh well.

However, I do pay attention to who wins the major awards and I have an opinion....

Best Actor: Forrest Whitaker -- The Last King of Scotland. Wait, Jefferson from Fast Times a Ridgemont High won best actor? Do you think everyone he is speaking with face-to-face is looking over their shoulder to see what he's looking at? (Ok, sorry...that was mean, lol) I haven't seen Last King actually, but he's been very good in other stuff so I think he probably deserves it. My vote would have been for Leonardo DiCaprio in The Departed. I guess he was terrific (and nominated) for Blood Diamond too, but I haven't seen that although I'm anxious to. He's young still. He'll get one eventually. You heard it here first.

Best Actress - Helen Mirren in The Queen -- No idea about this one. Haven't seen it and I'm not sure I care too. Isn't she like 125 years old? Good for her!

Best Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin -- Yes! Totally agree. He was excellent in Little Miss Sunshine as was the rest of the cast.

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. I don't know, but I really have NO interest in seeing that movie. I really, really can't get into musicals. Singing just takes me out of the movie. Works in theater for me, but not movies. For all I know, she may have been excellent and I really don't have an idea who else would have deserved it, but I can't get over her bitching about American Idol a few months ago. Something about how she became a slave to them, or she was treated crappy or something, etc. She should thank AI for anything that happens to her from here on. I'm not so sure she would have ever been discovered without it. Funny how stars can "forget". Did she also forget she was voted off and came back as a wild card? Did she thank Simon in her acceptance speech?

Best Writing: Little Miss Sunshine. No problem with that one. Loved it. Great!

Best Picture: The Departed. I'm not so sure about that one. Yes, it was a good movie. But best of the year? It was a down year for sure. I thoroughly enjoyed the film but it wasn't a superior movie, just a good one. I wouldn't have had a problem with Little Miss Sunshine winning either. I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima yet, but I'm anxious to. Shame Brookback Mountain and Crash had to go the same year, because both were 10x better than The Departed, I feel.

Best Director: Martin Scorscese for The Departed. Again, good. But at no time while I was watching the movie did the direction stand out to me. I think perhaps this is as much a lifetime achievement award. Did his direction make DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Marky Mark and Jack Nicholson so good? They've been great without him. I guess there wasn't a better movie really. Although I liked him in A Shark's Tale.

Best Visual Effects: Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest. This is one of my favorite categories. I love how far movies have come visually to making things seem so real. I actually have this DVD at home to watch but haven't gotten to it yet. Since the first Pirates was fantastic in that regard, I'm sure this one was worthy.

5 kind commenters:

Steven said...

Departed winning best picture was more than a little screwy.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years simply because I can't remember a single solitary winner who I thought actually deserved it.

Steve~

NouveauBlogger said...

I agree Steve...I think it was more that it was a down year in the case this year. I didn't have a big problem with Crash last year though.

Ron Simpson said...

there are too many awards for those parasites. they get paid millions to be wastes of oxygen when not on screen. they are so irresponsible........

NouveauBlogger said...

Hmmmm....ok, lol

Constance Burris said...

Haha... you liked Brokeback Mountain. Just kidding me, too. Heather Ledger was really good. Crash is on my list of top ten movies ever.

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of people talking about Oscar Clothing. If that is not a strong sign of pettiness and materialism of Hollywood, i don't know what is.