BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 1, 2007

Full Time Employment

My wife works a hectic job. Its full of stress and long hours not to mention evening budget meetings, union stuff and assorted other reasons she needs to "be there". That's why its always good when she can get away with me, even if its only for a trip to Fenway.

To that end, though, I am frequently left on my own at times with the Little One. Its perfectly ok and we will do cool things together like go to a playscape, the movies or out to eat among other things. For instance, tonight I took her to the driving range and to Wendy's when Mrs. Blogger's assistance was needed at work after hours.

I wonder, though, if when people see me out with her, like tonight at Wendy's, on a Friday night that they think I'm a divorced dad. You know? Gee, that's nice. He has his daughter for the weekend. Or whatever. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE spending alone time with her. Even when she's a pain in the ass. It's our Daddy/daughter time and its special to me. We both wish Mrs. B could be there more often, but her important job calls all-too-frequently.

I still wonder though. Does it appear that a guy out with his 4 and a half year old on a weekend night "has her for the weekend?" I get a weird vibe at times. Doesn't really matter to me, but.......anyway, I'm so very glad that's not the case. Anything less than full-time dad would be devastating.

5 kind commenters:

ZZZZZZZ said...

awww... I hope no one sees it that way! I always think, oh my, what a great dad. His wife is lucky.

NouveauBlogger said...

Ah, thanks Sheila....we'd have to ask Mrs. B if she feels lucky, lol.

I admit, if I saw her and I out, I would think exactly that ....divorced guy with kid.

Katie said...

I have to admit that sometimes I think that. Which is sad I know... but so many people don't stay married.

I have a friend who is raising his twin two year old daughters on his own. His wife left them all. Just didn't want to do it anymore.

Anyway.

My Dad and I do all sorts of stuff without my mom. We were out somewhere and I paid with one of my Hello Kitty checks and I was saying how my husband hated them. The cashier thought I was talking about my Dad!!! (who was standing right behind me) And she made small talk with him about Hello Kitty checks. It was funny.

Radioactive Tori said...

Once when I was out with my 3 kids on a weekend (at the time I only had three) and a guy sitting next to us at Wendy's with his son assumed I was single and hit on me. It took me by surprise. My husband seems to have the same type of job as your wife.

I have a male friend that has a situation similar to yours, and when he and I go out together with our kids on the weekends or at night because our spouses are working and it is more fun/easier to go together, people think we are a couple with 6 kids. It used to make us feel weird, but then we decided to let it be...we know we aren't a couple, and it doesn't really matter what other people assume.

I don't think I make any kind of assumptions about guys out with kids, but that may be beacuse I am usually way too busy to even notice other people. I think it is sweet that you take her places. My dad never took either my brother or I anywhere...he was always either too busy or scared to take us because "kids are too much work".

NouveauBlogger said...

Right Katie, I agree. I can't IMAGINE raising twins by myself. OMG! And I HOPE that when my Little One is your age she still wants to hang out with me :).

R-girl. Cool that the guy would still hit on you with 3 kids, right? I imagine many would run for the hills at that prospect, lol. And, yeah, I don't remember my dad doing FUN stuff with us very much. Either I'd tag along on an errand or we'd do something as a family. Times have changed a bit for the better.