BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

So then, what the hell time IS it???

Minijonb had an amusing post where he showed pictures of "clocks of the world". Only they weren't all at the same time relative to each other. Funny that nobody at the place of business noticed. It would drive me nuts to work there.


Anyway, it reminded me of another pet peeve of mine: people setting their clocks ahead. No, not the daylight savings thing, but purposefully setting a clock ahead 20 minutes so that they are not late for work or whatever.


I understand this might work for one or two days. You could forget and cruise through your morning routine and then remember and bask in the extra time you created. Doing what? I don't know; but you could enjoy a nice bask. Or arrive at work early and look like the earnest employee you pretend to be. THAT day you'd be sure to poke your head into the boss's office with a hearty "good morning" though, right?

It would seem, though, soon thereafter you would just start doing "clock math" and say to yourself, "Let's see. It's six-twenty? Ummmm....hmmmm...*yawn*, that's minus 20, carry the one, then if I don't iron and skip breakfast.....hell, I have another 45 minutes." Next thing you know, your boss is staring at your late-ass in your wrinkled clothes and grumbling stomach wondering how quickly he can train someone for your job.


It doesn't make ANY sense to me.


My wife did it for a while. Had the bedroom alarm clock set 20 minutes ahead. But since she is the absolute queen of the snooze button to the point where all her mornings become frenzied stress buckets, I would have to say it didn't work. Plus, she friggin' KNEW it was fast. Not like it was a surprise. Again, clock math. Its not that hard. Perhaps if I set it ahead and didn't tell her, she'd reach her desired results.

Of course, I'm the type who can estimate how long things will take and, barring something truly unforeseen (like a crash or her running late), arrive at my destination exactly on time. I hate being early to nearly anything, but I really don't like being late.


Recently, I noticed my sister-in-law had her CAR set 20 minutes fast. I would think by the time you are already en route to your destination you know whether you are late or not. What's the point by then? To fuck with your passengers? Sure fucked with me.

Or, if traffic is the issue, how the hell would a fast clock help you? What? You noticed how late it was and made 42 illegal maneuvers to make up for it? As the cop handed you the ticket and you noticed the infraction time and "I coulda had a V-8" slapped your forehead, chuckled and said, "Ohhhhhh......my clock was FAST the whole time!!!!" But now you're even more late anyway, because he sat in his car for 45 minutes running "warrants" and giggling at how much of your time he's killing? Phew, that fast clock really paid off.


I don't know. Like I said, I don't get it.

4 kind commenters:

Katie said...

All my clocks are 2 to 3 minutes fast. My car clock is 5 because if I do 80 on the highway, even when I'm running late, I still make it in on time... ok maybe 2 minutes late...

You are right though... it doesn't make sense... but I forget I have my clocks set forward most of the time... I don't know... it's silly!

Radioactive Tori said...

My husband used to do that. It drove me bonkers with all the math in my head trying to figure out what time it really was. I agree with you completly!

NouveauBlogger said...

Katie -- if you forget frequently, then it works :) I wouldn't forget though, I don't think.

R-girl -- Exactly!!!

Constance Burris said...

I am a member of the 15 minutes fast club. And now that I think about it it doesn't make sense. Hmmm,,,, and I am the queen of the snooze and clock math.