BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Plans

I've mentioned in prior posts that I adore my wife's family. I've also mentioned that my wife's sister's husband M absolutely drives me bonkers. He's petty, insecure, loud, inappropriate and he usually drinks too much.

He tries really hard to be liked. Too hard. But he's awkward socially and when he drinks he gets unbelievably loud and conversationally domineering. Yesterday, Easter, was no exception.

Normally, I pretty much keep my distance lest I be caught rolling my eyes as I witness his wife do all-too-frequently. Furthermore, I don't wish to say some extremely innocent thing and have him totally misinterpret it and get all offended. We joke. We tease. Its all in good fun except to him. He never seems to get it.

All in all, the day was rather enjoyable. Towards the end a group of guys were chatting and the topic of visiting Uncle H's cabin in upstate New York came up. It sounded intriguing but I remained mum. They had three days in April picked out and were positive all of us were going to have an absolute blast even though only two of the five sounded like they were committed to it. M being one of them, of course.

Sadly, I didn't even have to think about it for two seconds. Except M, those in on the conversation are great and I know I'd have a good time and enjoy their company. But, if I can barely take M for 5 hours on Easter, there's no way I could tolerate him for 3 days plus. Also, could easily see two of the other four not going as well.

I wasn't directly asked so I didn't have to get out of it thinking it might blow over. Finally, about a half hour before I was to leave I was asked what I thought about the plan. They know I can always get work time off if I need it so that excuse wouldn't pan out well. So I mentioned my wife's work location change and difficulties getting The Little One from daycare and all that goes with that. A legitimate reason, but something I could probably work through if I was totally into going. As I explained that part of my reason for not going, my other sister in law chimed in with how she could help out with the Little One.

NOT the help I needed.

I leaned over behind my wife's back at the dining room table and mouthed to her, "No, thanks". She understood.

Its a shame it can't work out. The trip sounds fun on one level, but M would be insufferable. I really want to like himbut I just can't and I don't think many in the family see it differently than me.

4 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

I completely understand and if I didn't know where you lived, I would swear we were at the same Easter yesterday! Interesting.

NouveauBlogger said...

lol - then I feel for you!

Skeeter said...

Oh yes, I think everyone has a relative like that. If only they mellowed with age ... now I'm just hoping that my youngest sister doesn't marry one such prospective. I feel your pain buddy.

NouveauBlogger said...

Yeah, I'm sure everyone does. Problem is I was really good friends with her first husband. Now I get to deal with this.