BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Oh Grow Up!

o the car I bought is a "young person's" car. Its inexpensive enough that 20-something's can afford it and cool/quick enough that enthusiasts are attracted to it. Also, its easily customizable so those that are into that sect (I'm not) can get their thrill that way.

Me? I just liked the looks when I saw it the first time. After researching it I found the perfect blend of performance, reliability and gas mileage that I thought fit me at the time. And still think so.

Also, in my research I found numerous threads dedicated to extolling its virtues and more than a few wherein "rival" car owners proclaimed where their car was the best car ever and mine was a piece of shit. And vice versa.

One of the cars mentioned time and again was the Volkswagen GTI. It seems a nice enough car but I found the reliability history of that brand wasn't up to snuff with Honda's. And again, I liked how my car looked better. No offense. The VW just wasn't for me.

While on the highway last night, a silver GTI came speeding up from behind passed me slightly and then slowed to my pace (about 75mph). I can only imagine he was sizing me up? I couldn't see though as his windows were tinted.

He hung by my side for a few minutes and while I didn't completely ignore him I wasn't staring at him either.

Then he revved forward of me and slowed back to my pace before lingering a second and taking off at perhaps 90 plus miles per hour.

I'm a 41 year old father, husband and homeowner. Does he really think I'm looking to race him down the highway in some macho, testosterone-driven quest to prove who's tougher based on the car they purchased?

I don't know, but that just seems ridiculous. I like to think I'm a little more mature than that. I let him have his "victory" and watched as he drove out of my sight. What a tool!

Plus. He barely saw me coming when I zipped by him on that curve 10 miles later!

Take that Mr. VW GTI!

4 kind commenters:

Radioactive Tori said...

I was just thinking about stuff like this today as I drove home from the store in my stupid mini van (blah blah blah 4 kids in car seats, not really any other choice blah blah blah).

I was going close to the speed limit behind several other cars all going close to the speed limit. All of a sudden a kid (maybe 20 year old...I can't tell) zipped by us all. It seemed sort of dangerous to me, but whatever. About 5 minutes later, I looked over while at a stoplight and there he was sitting a few cars behind where I was in the other lane. As I was thinking about what a jerk that guy was and feeling smug because he was exactly where I was and I had driven safely to get there, it occurred to me that I am mature and possibly old now. But either way at least I am safe.

Good for you for being the kind of person I would want to know and not like that other guy that would piss me off if I drove near him.

minijonb said...

oh! my inner-GTI is really pissed off right now!!!

=:-)

i usually drive VWs or Audis, but i've been known to ride in a Honda as well. they are all great. don't let the hot-head bother you, and nice work passing him!

Skeeter said...

The car for me is the Ford Mustang. Just love 'em. The only problem is I don't have one currently. I get those covet sort of feelings when I see a nice. Care can be fun, huh?

NouveauBlogger said...

R-girl -- I've noticed that at lights too. some idiot that dangerously went by you sitting and waiting for the same light a few moments later.

JonB -- While I LIKE Audi's and VW's for the most part, I have a friend who has an Audi and he can't get rid of it fast enough the number of times its been in the shop. My sis in law had a Jetta - tons of problems. And didn't you post recently about your Jetta and it being in the shop? lol - j/k - but that's what I'm hoping to avoid.

skeeter - While I am very much attracted to a Mustang GT for its power, I would have to store it in the winter up here (can't move at all in snow) and I'm not a two-car kind of guy. Plus, I've had TERRIBLE luck with the Fords I've owned in the past.