BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Don Imus

Radio personality Don Imus was suspended yesterday two weeks for comments he made on his radio show. I am unaware of the context in which he said it, as I've only heard excerpts, but he attempted a lame joke in which he referred to the Rutger's Women's basketball team as "nappy-headed ho's".

Certainly he is wrong. Of course those women deserve a profound and sincere apology. No doubt about it. Whatever punishment he receives is just fine by me. I've heard, too, that he's used racial slurs in his private life in the past. That goes to show, in my mind, where his mind is. I used to be somewhat a fan of his as I liked the political angle of his show and it was at times funny. He stepped way over the line in this instance, however. Punishment should and is being handed down.

What kind of bugs me as well, though, are Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's outrage about it. I believe both are calling for his head by wishing him fired. Fine. That's their right and I believe the consuming public and his advertisers will have the last say in that.

Having said that, they appear a bit hypocritical in this instance. Aside from the fact that both men have had past issues in which they've had to apologize (i.e. anti-Semitic remarks and the Tawana Brawley issue) I wonder where their outrage is when rap music refers to women as "hos", "bitches" or free use of the "N" word. Is this case that much different? Why? Because a white guy said it? Why don't they speak more vocally about their own race's relative impunity when it comes to vocalizing the demeaning of women, using racial slurs or glorifying violence? If they do, its certainly not with the vigor in which they've come out against Imus. Surely, they both have the forum in the form of their own radio shows.

I've heard Jackson speak in person publicly. He was terrific. I came away informed and impressed. He could, if he was inclined, push an agenda that its simply wrong to demean women of ANY race. Its wrong for ANYONE to use racial slurs. He could speak more about the overuse of the terms "bitches" and "hos" and "niggers" or "niggas". We all must remember, its not only 18 to 25 year old males, of all color, listening to these lyrics either. Children hear it, pick up on it and emulate it. I don't care where you're from or for the excuse that its the "culture" and "we don't understand". That crap merely propagates more of the same.

Sure, its free speech. But free speech still has consequences.

Until some in the power position, meaning consumers, begin to speak out against it in the form of where they put their hard-earned dollars, it will continue. Until eloquent speakers, such as Jackson or Sharpton, can exude their reasonably powerful influence over a big chunk of those consumers, then perhaps it is doomed to continue. It seems hypocritical to take some to task for racially charged or insensitive comments but not others.

No matter who is spouting them and no matter their background or education or experiences, it is wrong. Everyone in our society should take issue with it.

4 kind commenters:

Constance Burris said...

Thats an interesting point and I had never thought about it. Why aren't JJ an AS speaking out against rappers which use terms. Oprah Winfrey has. I think thats because Oprah Winfrey has the money and the balls to back it up. Not to say that JJ and AS don't but......

NouveauBlogger said...

And to be fair, I've heard more from Bill Cosby about it than anyone else.

Katie said...

This is a great post. I used to listen to Imus in all the time, not so much anymore. But I loved him. He is so funny sometimes.

It sounds as if this punishment won't change things for him too much, if he talks like that in private I mean. But it does do some good.

I agree that JJ and AS (as kahnee put it) need to speak out. They could do something about it, make some huge changes. It disappoints me that they don't. But then they don't even hesitate to jump on someone else.

NouveauBlogger said...

Right, Katie, thanks.

It seems that those that DO speak out about it (Cosby for instance) are labeled as "too white" and dismissed too. Its a shame.