BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 30, 2007

Princess Fiona

Princess Fiona works in my office.

No, not the ugly/hot chick from Shrek. Its merely a moniker I bestowed upon a co-worker when I wanted to be clever as I listened to our receptionist disparaging her. The receptionist thought it was hysterical so we still use the name when Fiona's not around.

Our receptionist, let's call her "Fiery Latina", is all about "fair". As in, "that's so not fair" and "I don't get to such-and-such why does she get to?" You know the type. I like her. I really do, but sometimes her complaining gets under my skin. It takes very little for her to get pissed off at the apparent preferential treatment Princess Fiona gets. Normally, I kind of roll my eyes when she frequently goes off, but it can also be a source of amusement for me. However, I recently discovered something that would really set her off.

Now, Princess Fiona has a job that's on the same level as mine, although I've been here much longer and we have completely different tasks. I also make quite a bit more than her too. So, I have that going for me! Anyway, the Princess is allowed to work "mom" hours; meaning 7 to 3. That's cool. I understand she needs to do it and this company is very good about compromise and flexible schedules and family and all that crap. Hell, they to pay us for lunch hence my 8:30 to 4:30 schedule instead of coming in at 8 or leaving at 5.

Having said that, Fiona regularly comes in 15 to 20 minutes late which I saw again firsthand last week when I came in at 6:30 a.m. Usually nobody's here before 7:30 or so. So unless a boss called the office she's pretty "safe" doing it. But she does it every day.

Frankly, I don't really give a shit so I'd never say anything. I look at things as the company and me. As long as the other's work doesn't affect my work negatively, I don't really care if someone is late, or goofs off (as I write this blog during work time) or takes tons of time off or even does a shitty job. As long as they restock the paper when its out I'm good. That friggin' paper is always out too.

Anyway, I feel the company should pay me fairly for what I do (they do) and I should give them a very good effort for my compensation (I do). What the other's do is between them and this little company. I've run that philosophy by Fiery Latina but for the life of her, she can't see it that way. Its "not fair" in her mind. I understand where she's coming from on one level but feel she should worry about herself and her own work and not about others.

Now since Fiona leaves before the last mail pickup of the day she brings all our outgoing mail to the Post Office on her way. The place is literally 2 blocks away. When I've done it it took all of 3 to 4 minutes, if not less. It would be "fair" then, in my opinion, for Fiona to leave at 2:50 or so. You know, give her a cushion in case there's tons of old person traffic. Maybe she's cautious too, because she leaves at 2:25. No shit, 2:25. Bold girl. The bosses to my knowledge have never said anything.

So after a while of her doing that every day, I thought that perhaps they adjusted her hours to leave at 2:30 and switched to a 37.5 hour workweek (not including the tardiness). Nope. Today I saw her timecard. She logs 7 to 3 p.m. Really bold girl.

Know what? I still don't care. Certainly, I sneak out on occasion, but not EVERY DAY! There are days I work late too without additional compensation. If stuff needs to be done I stay if I can. If I need to skip lunch, I will. Fiona NEVER would. Never. Seems to me, though, she's playing with fire. They're very free about our scheduling and such and accommodating people's need to leave early, come in late, etc. But, since they treat us as adults they expect us to act like adults. To that end, there's not always a warning before letting someone go. I've seen it. I don't think Fiona's job is in jeopardy but it surely is a blatant way of taking advantage of their generosity.

Oh well. I hope Fiery Latina never finds out Fiona's paid for 40 hours. Latina thinks she's underpaid as it is. I don't need to hear all about that again.

4 kind commenters:

ZZZZZZZ said...

Wow, princess fiona really has a set on her! haha although I get where you are coming from. I find myself thinking all sorts of things aren't fair and then when I start to word them I bite my tongue. Nobody wants to hear me whine constantly... that's what I have my blog for! hehe

NouveauBlogger said...

Yeah, she does have a "set" figuritively speaking of course. She's also not above crying foul when she doesn't think something's fair.

Radioactive Tori said...

This makes me so happy I do not work outside the home. It would bug me having to deal with both women. My answer when my kids tell me something is not fair is to just tell them to deal with it because nothing is ever fair or equal, and it is up to you to make yourself happy. You certainly won't ever be happy if you spend your life comparing yourself or the fairness of things to what other people have.

I like your attitude about it though. There isn't any sense getting yourself upset about something that has not much to do with you even though it isn't fair.

NouveauBlogger said...

Right, thanks R-girl.

Hey, I have a great job and work for great people. THEY are fair to me, that's all that matters.