BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 16, 2007

Holes and a Soak

On Saturday, I went to help my father-in-law dig some fence-post holes. He needed three for a little project and since he lives on somewhat rocky soil one must break the all-too-frequent stones with an iron bar. I know that his arthritis is killing him so Easter Sunday I offered to help and Saturday seemed as good a day as any. It was a royal pain and certainly hard work but I was done in about an hour and tried to make it a workout.

I like to do things for him as he is the first to help me with any of my projects. He was sincerely appreciative for my help although I know he wishes he didn't need the help. Too much pride perhaps but I understand completely.

Afterward we hung out in his sprawling garage and bullshitted as we downed a couple cold ones while I ogled with envy his incredible display of tools and machines. My mother-in-law called us in for dinner just as Mrs. Blogger was arriving from some studies. After dinner we had a nice soak in his hot tub complete with plenty of conversation and more adult beverages well into the evening.

He spins a good tale as he tells me of his time growing up, or in the military, or about jobs he's held. I retort with my own tales and he makes for a good audience. Many of his stories I've heard before, of course, but I rarely say so preferring to let him finish. He was surprised to hear that I had begun dating his daughter 19 years ago. Strange in a way because 19 years ago puts him only a few years older than I am now. Usually his stories are funny and he's not afraid to show himself as flawed in his younger days. I admire that. Its nice to know the real man and I respect him and what he's been through and from where he came. I love hearing about it all.

I know he has probably embellished the rehashed accounts over the years as I've heard his quips about his "twin-half-stepbrother Spudloaf" numerous times. The jokes are kind of corny but I still find myself laughing sincerely. Many exaggerated tales he's probably told so often they're real in his head at this point, so there's a certain consistency to them and they're quite charming.

He also likes to present his "outlook" on things ranging from the mundane, such as how to repaint an old steel chair, to money management, to his views on politics and social services. More often than not, we're not entirely in agreement on the political ideas but he's respectful of my views, listens well and presents his counterpoint without getting emotional or taking offense. I try my best to be the same way. We even had a rather long discussion about the "F" word which had me laughing.

He's always treated me as a son. Of course, his real kids have some resentment left over from childhood that I didn't experience. He's a no-nonsense sort who believed that everyone should do plenty of work around the house and yard. In response, they'll make sure to un-sugarcoat a story about when they were younger should he bring one up.

In spite of that, he and my mother-in-law raised mostly successful, fine upstanding adults and there is no doubt they all love and respect him.

Just as I do.

2 kind commenters:

Katie said...

it sounds like it was a nice time. it must be really great to get along with your in laws. :)

NouveauBlogger said...

Yeah, I do :) Very much so.

You don't?