BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Dust Off and Climb Back On

I noticed that when I was golfing on Saturday, I became a bit winded walking up one of the steeper hills on the course. Such that for a minute or two, conversation was a tad labored. Yes, its a really big hill and kills (figuratively) other golfers so much that those that walk (which I always do) avoid that nine altogether. And, yes, I'm 40 now. But still.....

When I mentioned it to Mrs. Blogger she sort of looked right through me. I think it was in the vein of "that's not the Nouveau I know!" but it might have been in the "yeah, you are letting yourself get disgustingly out of shape". Hmmmm.....

In any event, I have only been to the gym three times since Vegas almost a month ago and before that I was concentrating more on lifting than cardio. I resolve to take this as a kick in the ass! I can get back into the lifting no problem. The time off might have been good for me even as I'm nursing assorted injuries.

So, I lifted last night. That was great. Lately I've had people tell me I looked bigger which is reward enough for how hard I worked over the winter. Do you know it takes a 40 year old twice as much working out to gain the same amount of muscle a 20 year old does? There's THAT much less testosterone in the system. How crappy is that?

My workouts were at the expense, somewhat, of my cardiovascular conditioning. I don't care for the treadmill or the time out of the house nor the injuries I keep getting. But HATE not being in shape even more. So when I got home from the gym I went out for a run. Yeah, it was chilly (fucking summer get here already! They're talking snow tonight!), it was windy and I hated it for the most part, but I'm going to really try to get three days running and one day biking per week until July 4. Then reassess from there.

And, since I stated it here I can't let my good readers down can I? Plus, I don't EVER want that look from Mrs. B again.

Furthermore, I need to start my fitday entries again too. Which I will, starting today!

I started slow last night. 1.5 miles in 12:28 (my neighborhood is hilly too). I will try not to be speed-conscious but just try to log the mileage and take it from there along with mixing in a bike ride on the weekends. Throw in a round or two of golf and that should make for a nice, rounded week of exercise. Hopefully I can make some headway. I even brought in a Weight Watchers Smart One for lunch. I think its their Classic Ass of Dog meal, but I'm not positive.

For sure, if I can walk that hill again and hold a normal conversation, Mrs. Blogger will find me irresistible, right? Wish me luck!

4 kind commenters:

Constance Burris said...

OK. I've finally starting going back the gym doing my cycle classes. but i can't say i've been eating well and i need to start lifting weights. Basically, you are not alone. I am going to start doing fit day again. also. Good luck brother.

NouveauBlogger said...

Ah, good to know :)

And good luck to you too!

Katie said...

Good Luck with your workout! I need to start jogging again now that it has turned warmer here. I'm so lazy though.

Did you know that testosterone is on of the reasons why men usually die younger that women?

NouveauBlogger said...

I DID NOT know that....should i start on estrogen then to live longer? lol