BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty pleasures. I've had them, you've had them.....

You know what I mean. Finding some sort of pleasure, any kind, in something you probably shouldn't have, feel badly about, or are ashamed to admit.

Maybe its singing out loud to Mandy by Barry Manilow when you hear it or (if you're a guy) knowing all the words to I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor (First I was afraid/I was petrified/Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side/But I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong....)

Or perhaps it was that third plate of lasagna with oh-so-much-cheese on top followed by a pint of Spunky Monkey Uber Chocolate Chip Fudge Nut Carmel Ice Cream that you thought adding sprinkles to would really set it apart (I should have changed my stupid lock/I should have made you leave your key/If I had known for just one second/you'd be back to bother me....).

Or maybe, again if you're a guy (or some girls, I suppose), that peak down a too-loose blouse or up a too-short skirt. Of course, its really nothing you can't see by the pool or at the beach but somehow its different and you know you shouldn't look just as you know you shouldn't look at that squished squirrel on your morning walk. But you do (Go on now go / walk out the door /don't turn around now / 'cause you're not welcome anymore / weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye? /you think I'd crumble? / you think I'd lay down and die?....)

Or it could even be that movie that's always on. Ten a.m. Sunday morning, three a.m. Saturday morning. Doesn't matter, its on. You've seen it 50 times, yet it stops in your your channel-surfing tracks so much so that after planting yourself you don't even move your little blankie to hunt, yet again, for the damn remote. Which movie is it? Is it Road House? Patrick Swayze and his "Pain don't hurt" comment that makes you roll your eyes every friggin time, yet you STILL watch the movie to the end from whatever point you entered it? (Oh no, not I / I will survive / as long as i know how to love I know I will stay alive / I've got all my life to live / I've got all my love to give /and I'll survive / I will survive / Hey! Hey!.....)

[Hmmm....what's that song rattling around in your head? --- heh heh heh! ]

Anyway, along the lines of Guilty Pleasures and movies, I watched Talledega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby last night. I know...it should suck. I expected it to suck. And perhaps to many it did. But, I have to say, I laughed my ass off. Hard. Not since 40 Year Old Virgin have I laughed out loud that much at a movie. To be fair, I can't say that I'm a huge Will Farrel fan outside of his work on Saturday Night Live (particularly George Dubya and the cheerleader) but this movie struck me as slightly different. It didn't always take the path I expected but continued to make me laugh out loud. And HE wasn't the only funny person or the only one with funny lines and that made it refreshing. Warning! This movie is stupid. Don't expect Schindler's List or even something quirky/clever (ala Sideways or Little Miss Sunshine). The plot is ridiculous, the humor not subtle, but what a perfect "grab a bag of chips, your favorite beverage, camp on your cushy couch in something comfy and let your mind go and laugh away" kind of movie. Maybe I was in a good mood when I saw it, but.......worked for me.

What are some of your guilty pleasures?



4 kind commenters:

Katie said...

I still haven't seen that movie! everyone I know that has seen it loves it. now I guess I'll have to see it.

guilty pleasures? surfing up old boyfriends on myspace.... did I just say that? No. no. I don't think I did.

Katie said...

and saying the lines to the old black and white movies I love to watch while crying (but only when I'm home alone)

Constance Burris said...

Yeah, that movie is stupid. It doesn't even try to make sense.... it is my freinds favorite movie also. and i've seen it on top ten list for 2006... just to let you know you're not the only one. my fav parts are the ones where his best friend calls from Ricky Bobby's house and ask if Ricky wants to come over and hang out at his own house.

NouveauBlogger said...

Ahhhh....good one Katie, lol - I'm sure you're not the only one doing that....

Kahnee....one of my fave parts to....then his buddy says, "How about I come over? Which car of yours do you miss the most? The hummer? Ok, I'll bring the hummer" lmao.....Nice to know I'm not alone!